Suresh Misra: Professor of Consumer Affairs
Phone Number : (O) 011-23766136, 23468349, (R) 011-26134455
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Qualifications :
MA (Pol Science), MHRM, D.Phil, PG Diploma
Journalism & Mass Communication
- Field Study Internship Programme, Development Study Centre, Rehovot, Israel, January - May, 1994.
- Executive Programme on Corporate Management, AOTS, Tokyo, Japan, 1997.
- Total Quality Management, UK Civil Service College, Sunningdale, DFID, British Council & GOI, 2000.
- Training of Trainers, Thames Valley University, Slough, UK, Sponsored by UNDP and GOI, 2002.
- TOT on Values in Administration, ISTM, Government of India, New Delhi, 2004.
- Teaching and Writing Public Policy Cases, L.B.S. National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie and Maxwell School, USA, 2002.
- Total Quality Management, Power Management Institute, NOIDA, CII and DOPT, Govt. of India, 2000.
- ISO 9000 in Educational Institutions, IIQM, Jaipur, 2000.
- Design Of TQM Programmes, L.B.S. National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, 2000.
- Training of Trainers on Human Rights, L.B.S. National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, 1999.
- Distance Learning Methodology, IGNOU & DOPT, Government of India, 1998.
- Media in Distance Education, IGNOU and DOPT, Government of India, 1998.
- Direct Trainers Skill (DTS) sponsored by DOPT, Govt. of India, 1997.
- Design of Training (DOT) sponsored by DOPT, Govt. of India, 1997.
Awards & Honours
- British Council Technical Scholarship, UK, 2000
- Association of Overseas Technical Scholarship, Japan, 1997
- Division of International Co-operation, MASHAV Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Israel, Scholarship, 1994
- Doctoral Fellowship, Indian Council of Social Science Research, HRD Ministry, GOI, 1985-89
Areas of Interest/Specialization
- Consumer Studies, Govt & Politics, Administrative Processes and Procedures, Public Policy Issues, Decentralisation and Local Governance, Rural Development, Human Rights, Capacity Building and HRD
- Worked with IIPA in the early 90’s and then joined G.B.Pant Institute of Social Sciences at Allahabad. UP. In 1994 moved to Haryana Institute of Public Administration (HIPA), Gurgaon as Associate Professor of Public Administration and Head, Faculty of Public Administration. In 1997 was designated as Professor of Entrepreneurship Development to head the Centre for EDP set up by the Ministry of Small Scale Industries at HIPA. In 1998 was made the faculty in charge of the Indo-Japan Management Institute set up at HIPA, Gurgaon in collaboration with Haryana Govt and AOTS Japan. In 2002 I was promoted as Professor of Public Administration and Head Faculty of Public Administration at HIPA, Gurgaon. In 2007 Nov moved to IIPA, New Delhi on deputation as Chair Professor of Consumer Affairs. In 2010 was appointed as Professor of Public Administration (Consumer Affairs) at IIPA. I have also been holding the charge of Chair Professor Consumer Affairs at the Centre for Consumer Studies, which is funded by the Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI.
Selected Research Projects
- Evaluation Study of .Impact and Effectiveness of Consumer Protection Act, 1986, sponsored by Department of Consumer affairs, GoI. 2012
- Assessment of Wastage of Food and Ostentatious Behaviour during Social Gatherings (Marriages/Parties/Meetings etc), sponsored by Department of Consumer affairs, GoI. 2011
- Evaluation of the project : Promoting Consumer Activitism in six districts of West Bengal, sponsored by Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI.
- Evaluation of SAVERA Project for organizing information education and communication programme in Kathiar and Kishanganj Districts of Bihar, sponsored by Department of Consumer affairs, GoI. 2010
- Evaluation of Phase II of the Project on Workshop cum Training Programme for Housewives on Detection of Adulteration in Foods by CONCERT, Chennai, sponsored by Department of Consumer affairs, GoI. 2010
- Consumer Awareness in Rural India, Sponsored by Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI, 2009
- Role of Consumer Clubs in Promoting Consumer Awareness & Education: An Evaluative Study, sponsored by Department of Consumer Affairs, GoI. 2009
- International Consultancy on Strengthening Public Policy, Administration and Management under the Kabul University Afghan e- Quality Alliances of USAID and Washington State University, IIPA, New Delhi
- Capacity Building for Access to Information, Sponsored by UNDP and DOPT, (Nodal Officer) HIPA, Gurgaon, 2005-2007
- Capacity Building for Poverty Reduction, Sponsored by DFID – GOI (National Joint- Coordinator of CIG), HIPA, Gurgaon 2005-2007
- Preparation of Decentralised Planning Training Module, UNDP, and DOPT, Government of India. 2003
- Total Quality Management in Training Institutions, Sponsored by British Council and DOPT, Government of India, 1999-2002
- Training Need Analysis in the Departments of Urban Development, Personnel, and Industry in Haryana; Sponsored by UNDP and Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India, 1998.
- Urban Basic Services Programme in Association with SUDA, Haryana, Sponsored by UNICEF, New Delhi. 1995-96
- UNDP Project IND/95/008 - Capacity Building for Civil Service, Administrative Reforms and Training in the Centre and the States - Output 3 Strengthening State Training Institutes, 1995-1999. Sponsored by UNDP and DOPT, Government of India.
- Study of Legislative Framework of Panchayati Raj in Different States of India, IIPA, New Delhi, 1992.
- Review of Panchayati Raj Acts in the Context of the Proposed Constitutional Amendment Bill in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh. Sponsored by Department of Rural Development, Government of India IIPA New Delhi
- Consumer Protection in India: Issues and Concerns, (Silver Jubilee Volume), IIPA, New Delhi, 2012
- Emerging Perspectives in Consumer Welfare: Twenty Five Years Of The Consumer Protection Act, (Silver Jubilee Volume), IIPA, New Delhi, 2012
- Consumer Protection in India: Policies and Case Studies, Concept, Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2012
- Consumer Protection and Globalisation,( Co- editor), SNAMS Book House Private Ltd, Chennai, 2010
- Consumer Education and Empowerment: Laws, Policies and Strategies, Abhijeet Publications, Delhi, 2010 (Co-editor)
- Consumer, Consumerism and Consumer Protection: Indian Context, Abhijeet Publications, Delhi, 2010 (co – editor)
- Rural India; Achieving Millennium Development Goals and Grassroots Development, (Ed. M. Moni & Suresh Misra), Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2009
- Suchna Ka Adhikar, (Right to Information) Published by Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, 2008 ( Hindi)
- Towards Gandhian World Order (Ed): Gandhian Alternative Series Vol I, Concept Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2005
- Education for Self - Realisation (Ed) : Gandhian Alternative Series, Vol 5, Concept Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2005
- Grassroots Democracy in Action: A study of Panchayats in Haryana, (Co- author) Concept Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2004.
- Humanising Development: Trends in Public Administration, (Co-Editor,) Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi, 2001.
- Citizen Friendly Administration; Simplification of Procedures, Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon 1998 (Co-Editor).
- Legislative Status of Panchayati Raj in India, Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi, 1997 (Co -Author).
- Social Welfare, Poverty Alleviation and New Economic Policy, Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon. 1996 (Co- Editor)
- Popular Participation in Rural Development: Emerging Dynamics of Panchayati Raj Institutions, Haryana Institute of Public Administration, Gurgaon, 1996.
- Environmental Laws in India: Issues and Responses. Concept Publications, New Delhi, 1995 (Co- Editor).
- Legislative Framework of Panchayati Raj in India, Intellectual Publications, New Delhi, 1993. (Co-Author).
- Politico - Peasantry Conflict in India : Dynamics of Agrarian Change, Mittal Publications, New Delhi, 1992
- Gandhian Concept of Indian Villages in R.P. Misra (Ed.) Gandhian Model of Development and World Peace, Concept Publications, New Delhi, 1990.
- Powers of Election Commission: A Legal Perspective, Indian Journal of Public Administration, IIPA, No. 3, 1991. ( co-author)
- Making Popular Participation in Rural Development Meaningful, Kurukshetra, 1991
- Panchayati Raj Experiment in Madhya Pradeh, Indian Journal of Public Administration, IIPA, No. 4, 1991. ( co-author)
- Imperative of Protecting Rural Consumer, Kurukshetra, May, 1992.
- Popular Participation and Panchayati Raj : The Indian Experience ISDA, Journal, No. 2, 1992.
- Judicial Response to Police Indiscipline, in Guha Roy (Ed.) Policing a District, IIPA, 1992.( co-author)
- Contributed a Chapter on Urbanisation in India, in Housing the Poor in Third World Cities by Kamalesh Misra, Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1992.
- Panchayati Raj Institutions in India : The Emerging Scenario, in J.P. Misra (Ed.) Researches in Social Sciences, Agam Kala Prakashan, New Delhi, 1993.
- South-South Nuclear Co-operation: Issues and Prospects, G.B.P.S.S.I. Occasional Paper No. 74, 1993.
- Women Violence and the Law in O.C. Sharma (Ed.) Crime against Women, Allied Publishers, 1993.
- Public Law Issues in Privatisation Process: Indian Journal of Public Administration, IIPA, No. 3, 1994. ( co-author)
- Culture-Environment Nexus: Some Basic Considerations in R.P. Misra, Vijai Singh (Ed.) Environment and Development, SDF, Publication, New Delhi. 1994
- Decentralization, Development and Panchayati Raj in S.P. Nagendra (Ed.) Development and Change, Emerging Perspectives, Concept Publications, New Delhi. 1994
- Rural Co-operative Settlements in Israel. The Changing Economic Structure of the Kibbutzim: Development Study Centre, Israel, 1994.
- Panchayati Raj in Haryana: A Status Report, Haryana Institute of Public Administration, 1995.
- Management of Education by Local Governments: The Case of Israel, Journal of Educational Planning and Administration, Vol. X. No. 1 January, 1996 NIEPA, New Delhi.
- Rural Co-operatives Settlement in Israel : Journal of Rural Development Vol; 15. No. 3, July - Sept. 1996, NIRD Hyderabad.
- Environment Protection in India: Need for Participatory Approach in R.B. Singh and Suresh Misra (Ed) Environmental Law in India: Issues and Response, Concept Publication, 1996.
- Environmental Law: in R.B. Singh and Suresh Misra (Ed.) Environmental Law in India, Concept Publication, 1996. ( co-author)
- Gram Swaraj to Gram Panchayat : Negation of Gandhian Ideology, Journal of Gandhi Samiti and Darshan Samiti, Vol. 1, No. 2, July 1996, New Delhi.
- State and Market: A Constitutional Analysis, Delhi Law Review, Vol. XVIII, 1996, New Delhi. (co-author)
- Japanese Corporate Management Styles: An Analysis, in Management and Change, Journal of IILM, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1997, New Delhi.
- Rural Leadership in Haryana: Changing Profile, Kurukshetra, No. 7, April, 1998
- Emerging Pattern of Panchayati Raj Leadership in Haryana, in Dr. Atmanand (ed.), Financing of Panchayati Raj, Excel Books, 1999.
- Police Indiscipline: Analysis of Judicial Response in J. Guha Roy (Ed.), Policing in Twenty First Century, IIPA, New Delhi, 1999.( co-author).
- Humanising Development, in Suresh Misra and Rajvir Singh (Ed) Humanising Development - Trends in Public Administration, Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi, 2001.( co-author)
- Civil Service Reforms: Towards a Citizen Friendly Administration, in Ramesh Arora (ed.), Management in Government, Aalekh Publishers, Jaipur. 2001
- The Changing Role of the State and Issues in Governance - An Overview, in Humanising Development - Trends in Public Administration, Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi, 2001.( co-author)
- Institutional Mechanism for People’s Participation at the Local Level in Ramesh K. Arora (Ed) People Centred Governance, Aalekh Publishers, Jaipur. 2001
- Preparing a Citizen's Charter: Principles and Guidelines, in Humanising Development - Trends in Public Administration, Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi, 2001. ( co-author)
- Sustainable Rural Development: Challenges and Opportunities, in Humanising Development - Trends in Public Administration, Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi, 2001. (co-author)
- Role of Governance Institutions in Sustainable Human Development - Kurukshetra, June 2001.
- Institutional Mechanism for Participatory Rural Development, Kurukshetra, September, 2001.
- Revitalising Panchayati Raj - Away from Gram Swaraj: in A.D.Mishra (ed.), Rediscovering Gandhi, Mittal Publication, New Delhi, 2002.
- Panchayati Raj and the Emerging Pattern of Rural Leadership in Haryana : A Case Study in G. Palanithurai (ed.), Dynamics of New Panchayati Raj System in India, Vol. II, Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2002.
- New Trends in Community Initiatives: Panchayats in Action : Journal of Rural Development, NIRD, Vol 21, No.3 , July-Sept, Hyderabad 2002.
- Rural leadership In Haryana, Third Concept, August 2002, New Delhi
- Governance to Good Governance: Are We Committed to Reforms ; in S.N.Misra (Ed), Public Governance and Decentralisation, Mittal Publications, 2003, New Delhi
- Institutionalising Panchayati Raj, Kurukshetra, New Delhi, Sept 2003
- Changing Perceptions of Bureaucratic Culture: A Critical Assessment, in P.S. Bhatnagar (ed) Indian Administration :Issues and Options, Mangal Deep Publications, Jaipur, 2003
- Smart Communities: The Unfolding Vista of e- Governance in Service Delivery, Surya Kant and Nina Singh (Ed) Reinventing Regional Development, Rawat Publications, New Delhi, 2004
- Contributed the Introductory Chapter on Gandhian World Order in the Gandhian Alternative Series: Towards Gandhian World Order, Vol I, Concept Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2005
- Contributed the Introductory Chapter on Gandhian Education in the Gandhian Alternative Series: Education for Self Realisation, Vol 5, Concept Publishing Co, New Delhi, 2005
- E- Governance: Responsive and Transparent Service Delivery Mechanism, in Amita Singh (Ed) Administrative Reforms : Towards Sustainable Practices, Sage Publications, India, New Delhi, 2005
- Power to the People : Panchayat Sandesh, All India Panchayat Parishad, Vol 3, March , 2005
- Re- Engineering Public Service Organisations : Conference Proceedings of International Conference on Services Management, IIMT, Gurgaon, 2005
- Decentralised and Empowered Institutions of local Governance. The Reforms Panchayats Must Undergo, in S.S.Chahar ( Ed) Governance at Grassroots Level in India, Kanishka Publishers, New Delhi ,2005
- Consumer in a Globalised World: Effectiveness of Consumer Protection Institutions : A Case Study of Haryana, IJPA, April- June, 2006, New Delhi
- Democratising Governance: Right to Information – Opportunities and Challenges, Nirnay, Vol-14, No.1, January-June, Sardar Patel Institute of Public Administration, Ahmedabad, 2007
- Consumer Protection in India: Working of the Grievance Redressal Mechanism in S.C. Chahar (Ed), Consumer Movement in India: Problems and Prospects, Kanishka Publications, New Delhi, 2007
- Reaching the Unreached: Excellence Through Quality Secondary Education in Ramesh Arora (Ed) Governance in India: Paradigms and Practices, Jaipur, 2007.
- Sustainable Rural Development and Millennium Development Goals : Challenges and Opportunities in M. R. Raju (Ed) Panchayati Raj System: Towards Sustainable Rural Livelihood and Development, Kanishka Publishers, New Delhi, 2008
- Good Governance and Consumer Welfare: Empowering Consumers’ Through Education in Consumer Protection and Welfare (Ed) R.P.C.S Rajaram and Jeyakumaran, SNAMS Book House Private Ltd, Chennai, 2008
- Education for the Masses: Lessons from Gandhian Praxis, Anasakti Darshan, International Centre for Gandhian Studies and Peace research, GSDS, New Delhi, 2008
- Public Accountability and Administrative Efficiency through Right to Information: Opportunities and Challenges. IJPA, July – September, Vol. LV. No. 3, 2009, New Delhi
- Market and the Rural Consumer; YOJANA, Special issue, February 2009, New Delhi
- District and e – Governance: Restructuring Service Delivery Mechanism in S.C.Chahar (Ed) District Administration in India in the Era of Globalisation, Concept Publishing Company, Delhi, 2009
- Protecting the Rural Consumers: The Role of Media; Consumer Protection and Globalisation, SNAMS Book House Private Ltd, Chennai, 2010
- Making of Panchayati Raj Institutions and Dr. Ambedkar, S.N.Misra (ed) Socio-Economic and Political Vision of Dr. B.R.Ambedkar, Concept Publishing House, New Delhi, 2010
- Quality School Education in India: Unraveling the Missed Opportunities, Suresh Misra and Mamta Pathania, Indian Journal of Public Administration (IJPA), Vol. LVI No. 3, IIPA, New Delhi, July –Sept. 2010
- “Consumer Awareness in Rural India –Need to Reorient Policies” by Suresh Misra and Sapna Chadah presented at Seminar on Consumer Protection and Consumer Welfare (Andhra University), Aug.13-14, 2010, Visakhapatnam.
- Changing Food Habits of Consumers in the Era of Globalization in the National Seminar on Globalization and Consumer Rights (25-26 November, 2011), Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, Orissa.
- Suresh Misra and Virendra Nath Mishra, “Vikas Ki Chakachaund Main Gum Hote Gandhi Ke Gaon”, Lok Prashasan (Hindi), July-December, Vol. 3, No. 2, 2011
- Changing Profile of Rural Consumers in India – Need for Education and Awareness, Suresh Misra and Mamta Pathania in “Consumer Protection in India- Issues and Concerns’ (Edited Volume).
- Protecting the Rural Consumers: Need to Reorient Policies in Consumer Protection in India: Policies and Case studies, Concept Publication, New Delhi, 2012
- Consumer Protection in the Globalised World in Prashahan IIPA Orissa Regional Branch, 2012
- Consumer Protection in India & Emerging Challenges in Consumer Activism, Competition and Consumer Protection (Ed) Prof. P.S.Jaswal , Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab, 2012.
- E-Commerce and the Regulatory Framework in Emerging Challenges in Consumer Activism, Competition and Consumer Protection (Ed) Prof. P.S.Jaswal, Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Punjab, 2012.
- Kabul: City in Perpetual Turmoil in R.P.Misra (ed) Urbanisation in South Asia: Focus on Mega Cities, Cambridge University Press India Pvt. Ltd, New Delhi, 2013
- Competition Policy and Law, Suresh Misra and Sapna Chadah, IIPA, New Delhi, 2010
- Khadaya Suraksha Evam Upbhokta – Vividh Aayam, Suresh Misra and Virendra Nath Mishra,(Hindi), IIPA, New Delhi, 2010
- Standards and Quality in Service Delivery, Suresh Misra and Mamta Pathania, 2011
Association with Committees (Appointed by Government)
- Member, Central Consumer Protection Council, GoI
- Member, Committee on Containment of Wastage of Food Grains and Ostentatious Behaviour, DCA, GoI
- Member, Committee on Real Estate (Regulation of Development) Bill, 2011, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation (Housing Section).
- Member, National Mirror Committee of COPOLCO BIS, New Delhi.
- Member, Implementation Committee; Indo German Bilateral Project “Consumer Protection and Sustainable Consumption in India”, DCA, GoI.
- Member, Committee for Re-Examination of the Scheme of Swami Vivekanada National Awards of Consumer Protection, DCA, GoI.
- Member, Multimedia Advisory Committee, DCA, GoI.
- Member, Working Group on Consumer Protection for the 12th Plan, Planning Commission.
- Member, Empowered Committee for Creating Consumer Awareness, DCA, GoI
- Member, Standing Committee to Harmonize Labelling Requirements on Packaged Commodity under Different Laws, DCA, GoI
- Co- Project Coordinator: Consultancy Project on ‘Promoting Involvement of Universities and Colleges in Consumer Protection and Consumer Welfare. Sponsored by DCA, GoI
- Project Director: State Consumer Helpline Knowledge Resource Management Portal, Sponsored by DCA, GoI.
- Designated by the Department of Personnel and Training as the First Recognised User of the Training Module on Decentralised Planning prepared under UNDP Project "Capacity Building of State ATI's"
Membership of Academic Bodies
- Life Member, Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi
- Life Member, Indian Academy of Social Sciences. Allahabad
- Life Member, Centre for Administrative Change, Jaipur
- Life Member, Sustainable Development Foundation, New Delhi
- Life Member, Indian Research Association. Allahabad