Dr. T. Chatterjee IAS (Retired): Director
Name : Tishyarakshit Chatterjee
Phone Number : 9866912227 (M)
Email : email@example.com
- Bachelor's History & Economics (1970-1973): St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi, India.
- Master's History (1973-1975): University of Delhi, India (St. Stephen's College)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism (1970-1971): Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi, India
- Post Graduate Diploma International Development and Cooperation (1989-1990): University of Ottawa, Canada.
- PhD in Economics (Environment)-2007: Hyderabad Central University Hyderabad, India
Areas of Interest/Specialization
- Institution Building and Public Administration with specialization in the field of Environmental Administration and Management.
Significant Achievements in Environmental Management
- Organised and set up India's first two common bio-medical waste management facilities in 1999 using the PPP mode in this sector for the first time in the country.
- Set up India's first industrial hazardous (solid) waste-common management (TSDF) facility in 2001 using the PPP mode for the first time sector.
- Conceptualised and implemented thermal Waste to Energy plants for Municipal Solid Waste for two cities in Andhra Pradesh in 2002.
- Applied GIS to build health and environmental quality baselines in sub-basins, to assist in future EIA exercises for urban-industrial investments and for setting local standards.
- 31st March 2013 to Present: Director, Indian Institute of Public Administration(IIPA), New Delhi.
- January 2011 to 30th November, 2012: Secretary, Government of India, Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi.
- January 2010 to December 2010: Special Chief Secretary, Planning, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- June 2006 to December 2009: Principal Secretary, Roads and Buildings, Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- June 2003 to May 2006: Principal Secretary, Environment and Forests Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- June 2002 to June 2003: Principal Secretary, Municipal Administration Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh
- 1997-2002: Member Secretary, State Pollution Control Board, Andhra Pradesh, India.
- 1993-1997: Director, Environment Protection Training & Research Institute ( EPTRI), Hyderabad.
- 1991-1993: Managing Director, Andhra Pradesh Technology Services (APTS)
- 1990-1991: Additional Development Commissioner, Handlooms, Ministry of Textiles, Government of India, New Delhi.
- 1975-1989: Held Rural Development / Zilla Parishad and Collector & District Magistrate positions in the Districts of Visakhapatnam, Chittoor and Hyderabad in the State of Andhra Pradesh, India.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Thematic Network Node, Western sector, `toxic chemicals and hazardous waste management' Network for Environmental Training at the Tertiary Levels in Asia and the Pacific (NETTLAP), UNEP-ROAP, Bangkok 1994 to 1998.
- Member of the National Environmental Action Plan Committee by Order no.13(2)/99PL, GOI, MoEF, 4TH June 1999.
- Executive Committee Member of The India Association for Air Pollution Control (IAAPC), New Delhi.
- Reorienting Environment Policy in India towards a local Area-Based Development and Management Paradigm. The Journal of Transdisciplinary Environmental Studies vol. 8, no. 1 (2009) ISSN 1602-2297. http://wwwjournal-tes.dk/
- Enhancing community welfare through improved water quality: a case for applying staggered pollution charges in the river Musi sub-basin of Andhra Pradesh, India. Water Policy 7 (2005) 469-483.
- Analysis of Environment and Health issues in the Hyderabad Urban agglomeration Urban India journal Vol. XXII No2 (2002), Apr-May 2003.
- The Treatment, Storage & Disposal Facility at Dindigal : a Case Study in 'Industrial Solid Waste Management and Landfilling Practice', edited by M. Dutta, B. Panda, B.K. Guha and T.R. Sreekrishnan, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, 1999 Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi.
- Land degradation in South Asia : biophysical state and processes, causes of Transboundry impacts and issues to be addressed in environmental management. INTERNET-NETLAP publication Bangkok, December, 1998. http://220.127.116.11/nettlap/products/Transb/presentationList.html.
- Environmental issues in the power sector —case studies of Bihar and Andhra Pradesh, Expert review for World Bank and DFID published in ERM-UK journal, October 1997
- The Kolleru Lake Conservation and Management Plan : a Community-driven Lake Environment Management Project in 'Conservation and Management of Lakes/Reservoirs in India' International Lake Environment Committee Foundation Special publication, Kasatsu Shiga, Japan March, 1996.
- Comprehensive EIA for the diversion scheme on river Vamsadhara-stage-II Project sponsored by the state government of Andhra Pradesh, 1996.
- Evaluation of twelve common effluent treatment plants in India. Project sponsored by the World Bank, 1996.
- Training— module development in Toxic Chemicals and Hazardous Waste Management for threatened eco-systems. A case study. Published in proceedings of Workshop on training methods in TCHWM, Melbourne, Australia, June 1995-UNEP, ROAP, Bangkok.
- Comprehensive EIA for the multipurpose river valley project at Pulichintala on the Krishna River. Project sponsored by the state government of Andhra Pradesh, 1995-96.
- Communicating and Training in Toxic Chemicals and Hazardous Waste Management in Resource volume for Tertiary level education and training in the Management of Toxic Chemicals and Hazardous Wastes, NETLAP Publication Nos.9 and 12, UNEP, ROAP, Bangkok 1995.
- Net Return Optimisation through Resource Efficiency analysis of crop-mixes in Semiarid Conditions in Indian Journal Of Agricultural-Economics: Vol.43 No.1, Jan-March, 1988..
- State Pollution Control Boards of the Future: Implementing a vision in Andhra Pradesh, India.Theme paper presentation at the Colloquium of Chairpersons and Member Secretaries of all SPCBs and CPCB, sponsored by the Asian Development Bank and the Ministry of Environment and Forests, GOI, Mumbai, India, May 27-29, 2005.
- City Air-quality management: Health-impact, policy response and action in Hyderabad City, India.Theme paper presentation at the experts panel workshop on `Health risk assessment from air-pollution: finalizing a proposal for exposure assessment in developing countries', East-West Centre, Honolulu, Oahu, U.S.A. February, 2003.
- Pollution charges-practical applications in India.Theme paper presentation at the World Bank-CII International 'Workshop on applying economic instruments to industrial pollution control', sponsored by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, New Delhi, June 13th-15th, 2001 in proceedings of the workshop.
- As member of an International Panel, peer-reviewed project Papers of MA. (Environmental Management) students at Lund University, Sweden. 14-18 May 2000.
- To evaluate the World Bank Environmental Assistance in Asia: Sustainability Issues in Bank Supported Water Management Projects. Theme paper presentation at the World Bank International 'Workshop to Evaluate the World Bank Environmental Assistance in Asia', sponsored by the Operations Evaluation Department, World Bank, New Delhi, December 6th-8`h, 1999 in proceedings of the workshop; WB-OED with support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, March 14, 2000.
- Cleaner production and Government: back seat driving the adoption of resource-efficiency in Indian industry.Theme paper presentation at the first India Roundtable Conference on Cleaner Production, organized by.the National Cleaner Production Centre, 31st August — 1St September 1999, New Delhi.
- Towards a methodology for assessing the UK's sustainable development impacts overseas. Theme paper presentation at the seminar on the subject at the Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, St. James Square, London, 1112th November, 1999. Published in final report of the DFID of the seminar proceedings.