Aasha Kapur Mehta: Professor of Economics
Phone Number : 011-23468328 (O)
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Qualifications : M.A. (Delhi School of Economics, Delhi University);
M.Phil (Jawaharlal Nehru University);
MS and Ph.D. (Iowa State University, USA).
Awards & Honours
- Predoctoral Fulbright Scholar;
- McNamara Fellow (World Bank);
- Phi Kappa Phi (overall excellence in academics);
- Gamma Sigma Delta (excellence in agricultural economics);
- Recognised as an Associate of the University of Birmingham (2001);
- Gender Economist, Skoch Development Challenger Award 2012.
Areas of Interest/Specialization
- Poverty, deprivation, disparities, indicators and issues related to vulnerable groups.
- Thirty nine years of teaching and research experience as a Lecturer, Reader and Professor from 1975 to 2014.
- Indian Institute of Public Administration: Professor (since 1997); Reader (1986-1997)
- University of Delhi, Kamala Nehru College: Lecturer in Reader's Grade and Head of Department (1985-1986); Lecturer in Economics (1975-85).
Selected Research Projects
- University of Manchester, DFID funded project on Chronic Poverty in India. Project leader for the multi-institutional Chronic Poverty Research Centre in India headquartered at IIPA and comprising a core team of four senior Professors from NCAER, GIDR, JNU and IIPA.
- CPRC India has published:
Ø 50 CPRC – IIPA Working Papers with 1 paper under publication.
Ø a paper in World Development,
Ø two books on Chronic Poverty one of which was published by Sage.
Ø India Chronic Poverty Report: Towards Solutions and New Compacts in a Dynamic Context, published 2011 by CPRC-IIPA as a synthesis of 51 CPRC-IIPA working papers.
Ø two papers in a special issue of Journal of Human Development on Chronic Poverty
Ø co-edited the JHD special issue.
Ø co-edited a special issue of Margin on Chronic Poverty
- Additionally, CPRC India has:
Ø Organized five International Workshops at IIPA and JNU and several national/ regional workshops at Ahmedabad, Patna, Bhubaneshwar and Koraput
Ø Conducted a training programme on Chronic Poverty and Public Policy in India: Issues and Policy Options, August, 2005.
Ø Conducted elective courses on Chronic Poverty at IIPA.
- Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation: Base Paper on Availability of Data and Data Gaps for Situation Analysis of Well-being of Children and Women (under finalisation)
- UN Women: Handbook on Gender Budgeting for Ministry of Women and Child Development (in progress)
- Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Assessment and Evaluation of Plan Scheme on Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs 2013.
- UN Women, Reviewing Flagship Programmes from a Gender Lens: ICDS, 2012.
- UN Women, A Critique of the Approach to the 12th Plan through a Gender Lens, 2012
- UN Women Stakeholder Group for Gender Responsive Budgeting 2012
- UNDP and Government of Punjab, Gender Budgeting - Department of Health, 2011.
- Government of NCT of Delhi, “Mission Convergence: A Rapid Assessment Report” by Dolly Arora and Aasha Kapur Mehta presented to Chief Secretary and Officers of the Government of NCT Delhi March 2010.
- Ministry of Women and Child Development and UNDP sponsored project for "Preparation of GDI and GEM for India." Report entitled “Gendering Human Development Indices: Recasting the GDI and GEM for India” published by Ministry of Women and Child Development, 2009.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) - UNDP “Renewable Energy for Rural Livelihoods” Monitoring and Evaluation of a project on ‘Raising Economic Levels of Villages through Provision of Cooking, Lighting and Motive Power’ for 14 villages in Rajasthan and Uttaranchal. Report presented at an MNRE Stakeholder Seminar in 2008.
- Government of NCT of Delhi, Department of Social Welfare project on Functioning of ICDS and its Universalisation in Delhi (jointly with other faculty members). Report submitted to the Government of NCT Delhi, 2008.
- NCAER-ADB sponsored project on “Financial Inclusion and Poverty Reduction,” 2008.
- Ministry of Rural Development and UNDP sponsored project on Analysis of the Implementation of NREGA based on Reports of National Level Monitors in 8 States, 2006.
- UNDP sponsored project on Pro Poor Dimensions of Economic Reforms: Health, Agriculture, Services and Infrastructure based on reviewing, editing and synthesizing 40 papers prepared at seven national institutions, 2006.
- UNIFEM sponsored project on The Impact of HIV/AIDS on Women Care Givers in Situations of Poverty: Policy Issues, 2005.
- National Commission for Women (NCW) sponsored project on The Budget: A Gender and Poverty Sensitive Perspective, 2003.
- Women’s Economic Empowerment in the Asia Pacific Region, Subsector study and Value Chain Analysis of Gum Karaya. Sponsored by UNIFEM.
- University of Birmingham and DFID: Evaluation of DFID’s Support to Poverty Reduction in India.
- UNIFEM and UNDP: Participation in a UN inter agency mission for developing trade and entrepreneurship based work opportunities for women. Conducted a case study pertaining to sustainable interventions for poverty alleviation.
- World Bank: Microenterprises Expert on a Rural Development and Employment Mission.
- UNIFEM: Global Trading Practices and Poverty Alleviation in South Asia: A Gender Perspective.
- World Bank: Technology Transfer and the Regaining of Lost Markets: A Comparative Study of the US and Indian Machine Tools Industries.
- ICRIER: Project on International Competitiveness of the Indian Machine Tools Industry.
- In addition to a large number of papers in the CPRC-IIPA working paper series available at www.chronicpoverty.org or Chronic Poverty Research Centre - India selected publications are:
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Pratap, Sanjay (2014). Addressing Poverty and Malnutrition: Key Issues for Better Outcomes, Yojana, August.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Pratap, Sanjay (2014). Policies and Programmes: Analysing ICDS and NRHM to understand what has worked, what has not and why? CPRC-IIPA working paper 48.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2013). Poverty: Promises Made and Miles to Go, Yojana, August.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Das, Dakshita (2013). Bridging Gender Gaps: Linking Gender Budgeting with the Results Framework Document, Inclusion, Vol. 4 Issue 1, January-March.
- Eapen, Mridul and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2012). ‘Gendering the Twelfth Plan: A Feminist Perspective’. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 42, No. 17, April 21-27.
- Mehta, Aasha. Kapur, Pratap, Sanjay and Ali, Akhtar (2012). ‘Reviewing Flagship Programmes from a Gender Lens’: ICDS, UN Women.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Eapen, Mridul and Mishra, Yamini (2012). ‘A Critique of the Approach to the 12th Plan through a Gender Lens’. UN Women.
- Chowdhury, Samik, Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Das, Suparna and Ghosh, Sourabh (2012). 'An Exploratory Analysis of Deprivation and Ill-Health led Poverty in Urban India: A Case Study of Delhi’. CPRC-IIPA Working Paper 49.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Shepherd, Andrew, Bhide, Shashanka, Shah, Amita and Kumar, Anand (2011). ‘India Chronic Poverty Report: Towards Solutions and New Compacts in a Dynamic Context’. CPRC and IIPA.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Das, Suparna and Satpathy, Trishna (2011). Chapter entitled ‘Beyond Micro-credit: Financial Inclusion and Micro-enterprise Development for Poverty Reduction, in a Book entitled Understanding Poverty in India’. Asian Development Bank.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2010). ‘Gender Budgeting’. Inclusion, October-December,
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2010). ‘Poverty and Inequality: Urgent need for Corrective Action’. Inclusion, July-September.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2010). ‘Poverty Persistence, Entry and Escape.’ Chapter in Kelley, Michele and D’Souza, Deepika. The World Bank in India: Undermining Sovereignty, Distorting Development, Independent People’s Tribunal on the World Bank in India. New Delhi: Orient BlackSwan Pvt. Ltd.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2009). ‘Global Financial Crisis, Healthcare and Poverty’. Mainstream, Vol. 47, No. 21, May 9.
- Bhide, Shashanka and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2008). ‘Economic Growth and Poverty Dynamics’. CPRC Working Paper 120 and CPRC-IIPA Working Paper 36.
- Ghosh, Sourabh, Satpathy, Trishna and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2008). National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, Alternative Economic Survey. New Delhi: Daanish Books.
- Shah, Amita and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2008). ‘Experience of the Maharashtra Employment Guarantee Scheme: Are there Lessons for NREGS?’ The Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 51, No. 2.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Satpathy, Trishna (2008). ‘Escaping Poverty: The Ralegan Siddhi Case’. CPRC Working Paper 119 and CPRC-IIPA Working Paper 38.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2007). Gender Budgeting, Alternative Economic Survey. New Delhi: Daanish Books.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Krishnan, Manjula (eds.) (2007). ‘Report of the Workshop on Gender Budgeting for Gender Budgeting Cells’. MWCD and IIPA.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Shepherd, Andrew (eds.) (2006). Chronic Poverty and Development Policy in India. New Delhi: Sage.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Gupta, Sreoshi (2006). ‘The Impact of HIV/AIDS on Women Care Givers in Situations of Poverty: Policy Issues’. UNIFEM and IIPA.
- Singh, Sujata, Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Tiwari, R.K. (2006). ‘Pro Poor Dimensions of Economic Reforms: Health, Agriculture, Services and Infrastructure’. UNDP and IIPA.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Sharma, Pradeep, Singh, Sujata and Tiwari, R. K. (2006). Series editors for 15 selected papers on ‘Pro Poor Dimensions of Economic Reforms’. UNDP and IIPA.
- Bhide, Shashanka and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2006). ‘Tracking Poverty through Panel Data: Rural Poverty in India, 1970–98’. Margin, July-September and October-December.
- Bhide, Shashanka and Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2004). ‘Chronic Poverty in Rural India: Issues and Findings from Panel Data’. Journal of Human Development, Vol. 5, No. 2, July.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Ghosh, Sourabh, Chatterjee, Deepa and Menon, Nikhila (eds.) (2003). Chronic Poverty in India. New Delhi: IIPA and CPRC, October.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Shah, Amita (2003). ‘Chronic Poverty in India: Incidence, Causes and Policies’. World Development, Vol. 31, No. 3, March.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Kala, Shalini (2002). ‘Hunger and Starvation’. Alternative Economic Survey 2001-02. Alternative Survey Group, New Delhi.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur and Menon, Nikhila (2001). ‘Drinking Water’. Alternative Economic Survey 2000-01. Alternative Survey Group, New Delhi.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur, Kabra, K.N. and Arora, Dolly (2001). ‘Parliamentary Debate on the Golden Jubilee of Independence: Equity and Social Justice’. Mainstream, August 18.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (2000). ‘The Invisible Workers: Women’s Unrecognised Contribution to the Economy’. Manushi, November-December.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1998). ‘Sustainable Interventions for Poverty Alleviation: A Best Practice Case of Gum Karaya in Andhra Pradesh’. India. New Delhi: UNIFEM.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1998). ‘Administrative Responsiveness and Competitiveness: Gum Karaya Case’. Indian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. XLIV, No. 4, April-June.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1997). ‘Strategic Options for Competitiveness for the Machine Tool Industry’ in Global Competitiveness, BICP - IIFT, New Delhi.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1996). ‘Liberalisation and the Poor: Some Economic Issues,’ in the Special Number on Liberalisation Policy and Social Concerns, Indian Journal of Public Administration, Vol. XLII, No.3, July-September.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1996). ‘Recasting Indices for Developing Countries: A Gender Empowerment Measure’. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 31, No. 43, October 26.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1990). ‘The Indian Machine Tool Industry: Industrial Competitiveness’. ICRIER, New Delhi.
- Mehta, Aasha Kapur (1988). ‘Application of Sustainable Agricultural Production Policies. The Iowa Case’ co-authored, in Sustainable Development in Agriculture. (ed.) by J.K. Parikh, Martinus Nijhoff, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria.
Association with Committees (Appointed by Government)
- Member of the Ad-hoc Task Force appointed by the Cabinet Secretariat, for reviewing the performance targets of Government departments included in their Results-Framework Documents for 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- Member of the Core Group of the Ad-hoc Task Force appointed by the Cabinet Secretariat, for reviewing the performance targets of Government departments included in their Results-Framework Documents for 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15.
- Member, Gender sub-group for the BPL Census, Ministry of Rural Development.
- Member, Professional Committee to assist the National Statistical Commission, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, on Social Sector Statistics.
- Member, ‘Round Table’ Committee constituted by the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development to deliberate on issues relating to educational development of women, PwDs and SC/STs.
- For the Twelfth Plan Planning Commission constituted Groups, appointed as
Ø Member, Group of men and women Feminist Economists appointed by Planning Commission for the Twelfth Plan.
Ø Chair, Subgroup on “Gender Mainstreaming and Effective Accountability Mechanisms” for and Member Working Group on Women’s Agency and Empowerment.
- For the Eleventh Plan Planning Commission constituted Groups, appointed as
Ø Chair, Subgroup on Gender and Agriculture for the Eleventh Plan and Member of a larger Working Group on Gender, Microfinance etc issues in Agriculture, for the Eleventh Plan and
Ø Member, Group of men and women Feminist Economists appointed by Planning Commission for the Eleventh Plan.
- Member, Task Force constituted by the Ministry of Women and Child Development for preparing a Handbook and Manual on Gender Budgeting; recognized as a resource person by the Ministry on Gender Budgeting.
- Member, Working Group for Developing Gender Audit Guidelines of Policies, Schemes and Programmes of Government of India, 2012.
- Served as Member, Evaluation Stakeholder Group for reviewing the work of UN Women on Gender Responsive Budgeting.
- Member, Academic Committee, Institute for Human Development, Delhi
- Country lead for the Chronic Poverty Research Centre, University of Manchester for over a decade.
- Member, Technical Advisory Group (TAG) for peer reviewing articles for a UN Women Publication on Gender and Evaluation 2014.